Tim
Hubey

Contact ADKJ

Email ADKJ

Address
Adirondack Jeeps, Inc.
90 Burquist Rd
Fort Ann, NY 12827

Author Topic: Stock 2015 JKU Sport Build  (Read 2112 times)

August 11, 2015, 08:31:29 AM

Offline Vprato

So instead of taking over the intro thread, I thought I'd make my own.

So I understand the concept of bigger tires, but how big? I know Ted and a few others have 35s, but didn't someone also have 32s? I get that capability here is relative, but whats a good starting point? And for a car thats going to remain a daily driver, what are some reasonable starting points for size?

Then Ted mentioned offsets, and I don't know much about that still, I'm looking it up now.

I get lift kits, Ken said rough country makes great suspensions, but how much is enough, and are the long arm kits worth it? What are the pros and cons there?

And then Shane, you talked about getting a kit that included gearing, a bigger axle, and lockers, and I am not sure what to look for there. I know a bit about axles and lockers, but is the gearing in a transfer case or in a new manual transmission? Then where should I look at these?

Lastly, you mentioned bigger brakes, and I dont know much about that stuff, would love some recommendations there.

I'm doing research on all of this as I ask, but this community is a great resource and I plan on using you all as a sanity test when I think I've figured something out.

August 11, 2015, 09:42:03 AM
Reply #1

Offline Shane

• ADKJ

And then Shane, you talked about getting a kit that included gearing, a bigger axle, and lockers, and I am not sure what to look for there. I know a bit about axles and lockers, but is the gearing in a transfer case or in a new manual transmission? Then where should I look at these?

Lastly, you mentioned bigger brakes, and I dont know much about that stuff, would love some recommendations there.

There's not a kit that is complete with lift, gears, tires,...  Its all separate purchases.  As for the brakes, it is something almost always over looked.  It isn't recommended that you go over 3% tire size on factory brakes...no one ever goes by that but larger tires=more leverage.  Harder to get turning(that's why we regear).  But also that leverage affects stopping as well.  Also when/if you regear, the added leverage you gain will over power the brakes.  that's why you have to push the brake pedal harder to stop/hold when your transfer case is in low range.

As for tire size, I think JK's will fit 33" tires stock with minimal if any rubbing(There are a few JK guys on here that can verify that).  They wouldn't affect a whole lot and would be a good daily driver size and change the whole look of the vehicle. Again all this depends on the direction of your build.  What do you want to do with it?  Moderate, 35" tires, drive it to blue and black trail rig?  Overlanding/Expedition stuff?  Look cool and go in the woods once in a while(I think this is where 90% of jeep guys want to be)?  I mean who wants to buy a $30-$40K rig and smash it through the woods??
'97 TJ's on 39 krawlers

August 11, 2015, 12:10:37 PM
Reply #2

Offline RussJr

• Administrator
  • Ready to hit the trails
    • RussJR.com

I mean who wants to buy a $30-$40K rig and smash it through the woods??

Ha Ha I like that.

I will find some of the threads I used when I first jot my JKU, they helped out a lot with giving me ideas.
I will look and post them up here for you to look at. 

07' JKU Rubicon
Any issues with the Forum please send me a PM or email.

August 11, 2015, 12:12:26 PM
Reply #3

Offline RedTj

• B.O.D.
     I think if i had it to start over again, I would do the biggest tires I could fit properly first, a winch and start wheeling. Get a feel for where you want to go. Jeeps a very capable out of the box.
     I did my lift and bigger tires, then realized i should have armored underneath more.  Also I might have gone with a long arm if i'd seen that first instead of my short arm, but all in all my has worked out well.
     Some stuff is trial and error, watching how other jeeps move. I love watching Shane's and the other guys buggies, but it isn't where my jeep is going. I've found that when i get out on the trail the Jeep usually tells me what my next mod is going to should be. :) 

August 11, 2015, 01:47:10 PM
Reply #4

Offline Shane

• ADKJ
     I think if i had it to start over again, I would do the biggest tires I could fit properly first, a winch and start wheeling. Get a feel for where you want to go. Jeeps a very capable out of the box.
     I did my lift and bigger tires, then realized i should have armored underneath more.  Also I might have gone with a long arm if i'd seen that first instead of my short arm, but all in all my has worked out well.
     Some stuff is trial and error, watching how other jeeps move. I love watching Shane's and the other guys buggies, but it isn't where my jeep is going. I've found that when i get out on the trail the Jeep usually tells me what my next mod is going to should be. :)
I agree 100%
'97 TJ's on 39 krawlers

August 11, 2015, 03:10:16 PM
Reply #5

Offline RussJr

• Administrator
  • Ready to hit the trails
    • RussJR.com
As Ted mentioned don't go to crazy at first, get a feel for it and what you want to do. 
Like I mentioned Saturday, I have had my JKU for 5 years now.  I slowly have been building it.  Finding what I like and don't like.  If I was to start again I would of taken a different path than what I did also. 

Check out JK-Forums for some great info on the JK's . 

When I started building my Jeep, I did the lift, then went and did some under armor, then added the front bumper with winch.  It was a year before I got my 35's.  I took some advice from some members that said start with the essentials, Armor, Winch then go from there. 

Russ
07' JKU Rubicon
Any issues with the Forum please send me a PM or email.

August 12, 2015, 06:28:01 PM
Reply #6

Offline Vprato

That all sounds reasonable, I think i'll wait till i need a new set of tires, and then i'll try to pick up some larger used ones, because I assume they exist (I'll have to find out where to find them), and in the meantime I admit i was very impressed by the capabilities of my stock jeep at Mettowee even though they didn't have a lot of trails that were at my level.

As an academic pursuit however, I would like to get a feel for what can be done to a wrangler without any financial restrictions so I understand the different options. Also it would be nice to know what shane did to his wrangler without a pocket dictionary. kidding.

As for what do I want to do with it, great question, I have only gotten a taste of wheeling and i know i enjoyed it and would like to keep doing it once in a while.

First and foremost, i bought it to transport troops and equipment to training sites. The 2006 chrysler town and country did a great job as a cadet, except i cried for the suspension every time we drove on the washed out dirt trails on Fort Dix, and I didn't really think it fit the image i was trying to project as a 2LT. So i got the wrangler and lost 2 seats.

August 19, 2015, 08:01:15 PM
Reply #7

Offline Tim

• B.O.D.
    • My Day Job

I mean who wants to buy a $30-$40K rig and smash it through the woods??

Ha Ha I like that.

Right.  You gotta put another $5-10k into it before it's really worth smashin'!!
 ;D

skids are a really good place to start