Tim
Hubey

Contact ADKJ

Email ADKJ

Address
Adirondack Jeeps, Inc.
90 Burquist Rd
Fort Ann, NY 12827

Author Topic: Micro Comp Crawler Build  (Read 3787 times)

February 21, 2014, 07:48:35 PM

Offline Jeff Jr.

• Student driver
I have been looking for another one of these guys for a while. Turned out to be a little harder than I thought. They(LOSI) discontinued the micro crawler line. After a few months of looking I found one at a decent price. It was somewhat stock. Longer links, LOW COG setup and front weights on the wheels. A kid owned this and it shows. All the links are different lengths. The longer driveshafts he "made" are not even close to straight. I knew all this before I bought it. As long as the electronics and axles are good all the rest is fixable. Money was sent and the crawler was shipped. I had parts ordered before it showed up. A new chassis and wheel wideners, lipo battery, wheel weights, tube for the driveshaft fix and 2-56 threaded rod for the new links.   

Yes that is a deck of cards.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:25:51 PM by Jeff Jr. »
Jeff Lee-VP
'93 YJ on Dana 60's and 39 Reds- Trailer Queen
'92 YJ Dana 44 Ford 8.8 on Q78's- Gone

February 21, 2014, 07:53:04 PM
Reply #1

Offline Shane

• ADKJ
Oh boy...
'97 TJ's on 39 krawlers

February 21, 2014, 08:00:23 PM
Reply #2

Offline Jeff Jr.

• Student driver
 I had parts ordered before it showed up. A new chassis and wheel wideners, lipo battery, wheel weights, tube for the driveshaft fix and 2-56 threaded rod for the new links.   

First up:
Check the tranny/transfer case
Open axles and lube them.

Later Plan:
Chassis- CrawlerX Ridgeback(Most adjustable)
Losi Micro Lipo 180 MaH 2S-Never had a lipo but heard they are the best
Custom bent links for clearance and flex
CrawlerX wheel wideners
Hot racing Airshocks
Rear lockouts
Miclaw Tires(Which come from Hong and are out of stock >:() But their sticky so its worth the wait!

I have a track here at the house from my last Micro. I want to get mini cones to use for cone dodging.

This thing wont be done untill at least summer with all the tuning and parts I need. I will start tearing into a few nights this weekend. After its starts warm up all my time will go to the real crawler.

Ill post pics a little later tonight.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:06:51 PM by Jeff Jr. »
Jeff Lee-VP

February 21, 2014, 08:08:50 PM
Reply #3

Offline Jeff Jr.

• Student driver
Just saw they make Krawlers for these. So tempting at $6 bucks a pair but aren't big enough. Wish my 39's were $6 a pair.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:28:04 PM by Jeff Jr. »
Jeff Lee-VP

February 22, 2014, 07:06:40 AM
Reply #4

Offline Jeff Jr.

• Student driver
I spent some time on this last night. Got the chassis all together. Adjusted the tranny/transfercase so it doesnt slip. Shaved off some extra plastic on the bottom of the axles. The chassis took an hour or two. Most of that time was spent removing extra delrin the CNC didnt take off. The chassis is all done except for some supports I would like to make to strengthen it up. I am very pleased with the chassis. Also I took apart the driveshafts. They were glued together so that they could not slip into each other. Ordered more. Good thing a set of 4 shafts is $3.
See picture. I just threw on the old links to see what it looked like. Wheelbase is just a 1/4 inch longer than I would like. Maybe tonight Ill play with making some links. Making better progress than I thought I would.
Jeff Lee-VP

February 22, 2014, 11:41:11 AM
Reply #5

Offline RussJr

• Administrator
  • Ready to hit the trails
    • RussJR.com
Cool,
Sounds like a fun project
07' JKU Rubicon
Any issues with the Forum please send me a PM or email.

March 07, 2014, 10:40:49 PM
Reply #6

Offline Jeff Jr.

• Student driver
Been deathly sick for a week just now starting to feel better. I tinkered on the links and played with locations of shocks. Rear is done. Got the lockouts on and shaved more off the diffs. Front needs new uppers(I broke one side GRRR) front lowers are done. I also got a deal on the Krawlers too. Picked up new shafts for the front too. It should be done in the next week or two. I also need to find like 10 micro cones for my course outside.
Jeff Lee-VP

March 31, 2014, 08:59:05 AM
Reply #7

Offline Jeff Jr.

• Student driver
The micro is 98% done. It just needs minor adjustments and boy panels. Im running it as a full droop set up like my last one. I found some rubber bands that hold the front down when climbing but allow it to flex when crawling. Perfect. Love the lipo. lots of power. It actually stripped out the transmission slipper. Super glue fixed that. Now if the snow will ever melt I can get some pictures of the comp course outside.
Jeff Lee-VP

June 20, 2014, 10:42:16 PM
Reply #8

Offline Jeff Jr.

• Student driver
This has been a fun little car. The lipo really woke it up. Ive broke three driveshafts and 2 body rails. Opps. The tires from Hong Kong finally became available again. Ordered those real quick. Also bought another Losi micro. Robbed all the good parts off it and sold it for more than I bought it for. From that deal I got a set of aluminum beadlocks, Aluminum gears, a heavy duty steering servo and some more tires. Win. I need to order a few more lipos and then this build is done. Ill post some pictures later.
Jeff Lee-VP